Friday 22 May 2015

Mayor Making

On Tuesday 19th May Oadby & Wigston Borough Council held its AGM. It has been my pleasure to serve for the past year as the Mayor's Chaplain. So it was for the last time that I went to the council offices to open the meeting in prayer. There were presentations to the Citizen and Young Citizen of the Year and then some closing thoughts from Sarah as she concluded her Mayoral year. Much thanks and appreciation was expressed to Sarah for all the hard work she has done through the year including managing to raise over £10,000 for her chosen charities.
Then followed the election and Mayor making for the new Mayor and his deputy. This was followed by a meal together at which I was invited to say Grace by the new Muslim Mayor as his Imam was unable to be present. For me brought the year to a fitting end as I was unable personally to be present a year ago to say Grace and had asked members of the congregation to go in my place.
We continue to pray for all those elected to office to serve both locally and nationally.