Wednesday 19 September 2007

"Hello, can I be baptised?"

Perhaps sometimes the visible fruits of ministry seem small compared with the effort put in. But occasionally something happens so easily and naturally that you catch yourself wondering if it's for real.
The phone rang yesterday and I was asked by someone I've never met if St Paul's conducts baptisms. I said yes (of course) and suggested a chat. Well, today we met and I was thrilled to hear a young man speak of his recent interest in Christianity and discovery of the work of God in his life. Turns out he'd seen our anniversary celebrations advertised in the Oadby and Wigston Borough "Letterbox" newsletter and then looked us up in Yellow Pages (thank goodness I updated the entry last year). We chatted, we read a little of Luke's gospel together, we prayed. All very straightforward, very simple and very much full of a sense of the Holy Spirit at work. And so a young man begins his journey of faith and we've a baptism to plan. I can't wait to see what happens next.