Friday 28 December 2012

The Queen's Christmas Message 2012

At Christmas, the Queen broadcast her Christmas message, as she has done each year, continuing the tradition set by her grand father, and televised since 1957. She spoke of the enthusiasm, fellowship and friendship of those celebrating the Diamond Jubilee; of the achievement courage and dedication, training and teamwork of the athletes and of those helping to organise the Olympic and Paralympic games; of the devotion, commitment and sacrifice of those helping in public service, particularly in the armed services.

She also related this to the inspiration that comes from those who were part of the Christmas story, such as Mary and Joseph and indeed, to the Christ child himself; and said that her prayer this Christmas Day was that his example and teaching would continue to bring people together to give the best of themselves in the service of others.

But toward the end of her speech, she said this: "The carol, 'In The Bleak Midwinter,' ends by asking a question of all of us who know the Christmas story, of how God gave himself to us in humble service: 'What can I give him, poor as I am? If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb; if I were a wise man, I would do my part'."

And she concluded: "The carol gives the answer 'Yet what I can I give him - give my heart'. "I wish you all a very happy Christmas."
That question, of how we should respond to Christ, is of essential importance. It's what we will be exploring at the Alpha Course on Tuesday evenings (for details see post of 5 December).

See the Video of the Queen's message.
Full text of the message
Contact us if you might be interested in the Alpha Course