Sunday 26 September 2010

Diocesan Assembly


I approached this event with a lot of doubts and uncertainties. Giving up a Saturday morning to learn about “food for a journey” seemed to me to be a pretentious waste of time. However the Lord had this one in hand. Teri offered to drop me at the Samworth Academy on her way to Fosse Park and the temptation of meeting Professor David Ford was just too appealing to ignore. So I went, and really enjoyed the experience. The Bishop’s Popemobile was a giggle. It was part of a “have I got news for you “interpretation at which Mike Harrison’s team were unjustly robbed of victory.
David Ford talked about the power and majesty of the Gloria, you know! The bit of liturgy which begins Glory to God in the highest. He lifted words we have said thousands of times to a different level of understanding and had only begun on the word Glory when his official slot was finished. He continued and was able to captivate the whole conference with the depth of his wisdom. You might think this a boring start to the proceedings but I would recommend listening to Professor Ford if you get the chance.
There were several workshop opportunities which people were keen to make use of and the lunch was a credit to the Academy. A lot of the day was given over to opportunities to chat and renew friendships. John Tonkin and Brian Robertson sent their regards. The Archdeacon and Gwynneth made sure that I behaved myself and I am looking forward to the next diocesan assembly already