Tuesday 10 June 2008

Big on belief, short on brains tour 2008

I love the title that Neil's come up with for his great project. He writes,
Dear colleagues, former colleagues, friends and family,

You might have noticed that I did not bother you about sponsorship for running in this year's London Marathon. This is not, as has been suggested, because I decided to have a lazy year!

No, it is because I have set myself a new and different challenge, indeed it has even been suggested that I must be mad, but have enormous self belief! Hence the chosen name of this new adventure!

What is the cause?
As before I am rasing money for Leicester YMCA, but this time all that I raise stays in Leicester. Leicester YMCA works with some of the most deprived young people in Leicester. Many suffer from a lack of opportunity compounding a lack of ambition. These together often result in the young person not taking advantage of or having the opportunity for new experiences.

One possible solution to this problem lies in having a dedicated and permanent fund of at least £10,000 to enable these young people to be fully or part funded to have access to the experiences you and I take for granted. This might be as simple as a pair of shoes to attend an interview or a trip to a sports or arts event, or as complex as a trip overseas to gain work experience, or anything in between! The plan is to establish a fund of at least £10000, the interest from which will provide the funding described, thus it becomes a permanent addition to the work of Leicester YMCA.

What is the challenge?
I am cycling nearly 1000 miles from Lands End to John O'Groats, over 15 days in August this year. This means I will need to average between 60 and 70 miles per day (depending on how lost I get), taking me between 5 and 6 hours. For me, this is the equivalent of running a marathon each day for 2 weeks. To save on money spent and weight carried, I have chosen to spend each night at a different Youth Hostel.

My route takes me from Lands End via Exeter, Cheddar and Bristol to South Wales. Along the border northwards through Ross on Wye and Chester, around Manchester to Slaidburn and onto Carlisle. Across the border into Scotland and via Gretna and New Lanark and around Glasgow, past Loch Lomond and on to Glencoe. Turn right and ride along the edge of Loch Ness and to the East Coast. A sharp left turn and up to the North Coast before the final leg into John O'Groats.

You are able to support me in a number of ways

- use the dedicated Just Giving website page at: http://www.justgiving.com/neilsbigonbeliefshortonbrainstour2008
- by sending or delivering cash or a cheque to Emma Knight, Leicester YMCA, 7 East Street, Leicester, LE1 7AF, clearly marked "Cycle fund"

In addition, for those who can, we are offering an opportunity to be a corporate supporter of the venture. For this we will display a copy of your logo or company name either on the clothing I wear or on the bicycle I ride, all for the princely sum of £100, equivalent to just 10p per mile. Contact me if you would like to take advantage of this opportunity.

For further information about this adventure, further opportunities to support me, or opportunities to meet me en route please feel free to contact me.

Many thanks in advance for your support, it means an awful lot to me, Leicester YMCA and the young people we are able to help!

regards

Neil Griffiths